[Mailman-Users] Relaying issues with Mailman and Postfix

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Oct 5 00:46:14 EDT 2016

On 10/03/2016 01:01 PM, Fongaboo wrote:

> However I think I'm not even getting that far yet. I'm running into a
> roadblock that I believe is strictly Postfix. So I take it that messages
> aren't even touching the new Mailman daemon yet.
>
> No matter what I do, I am getting relay errors when I send a message
> with the Subject 'help' to <listname>-request at lists.domain.tld, as such:
>
> Oct  3 14:12:20 <servername> postfix/smtpd[67338]: connect from
> mail.outsidedomain.tld[x.x.x.x]
> Oct  3 14:12:20 <servername> postfix/smtpd[67338]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT
> frommail.outsidedomain.tld[x.x.x.x]: 454 4.7.1
> <listname-request at lists.domain.tld>: Relay access denied;
> from=<outsideuser at outsidedomain.tld>
> to=<listname-request at lists.domain.tld> proto=ESMTP
> helo=<mail.outsidedomain.tld>

I'm not sure about the above, but the below says

> But then additionally I'm noticing these entries as well:
>
> Oct  3 14:09:13 <servername> postfix/qmgr[49782]: warning: connect to
> transport private/mailman: No such file or directory
> Oct  3 14:09:14 <servername> postfix/error[67292]: E587C642A5F:
> to=<listname-bounces at lists.domain.tld>, relay=none, delay=4801,
> delays=4801/0.02/0/0.03, dsn=4.3.0, status=deferred (mail transport
> unavailable)

you have an incomplete postfix_to_mailman.py configuration.

See <https://wiki.list.org/x/15564817> and be sure to read all of the
linked
<https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2012-September/074017.html>

> I tried adding the following, but to no avail:
>
> main.cf:
>
> relay_recipient_maps = hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/relay_recipients
>
> transport_maps = hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/transport
>

> relay_recipients:
>
> (for each list)
> listname at lists.domain.tld OK
> listname-listname at lists.domain.tld OK
> listname-bounces at lists.domain.tld OK
> listname-confirm at lists.domain.tld OK
> listname-join at lists.domain.tld OK
> listname-leave at lists.domain.tld OK
> listname-owner at lists.domain.tld OK
> listname-request at lists.domain.tld OK
> listname-subscribe at lists.domain.tld OK
>

> transport:
>
> lists.domain.tld mailman:

This says use the 'mailman' transport for ALL mail to the
lists.domain.tld domain. Per the above logs, this transport is probably
not completely defined in master.cf[1]. If this is a Debian/Ubuntu
Mailman package, read all the Debian documentation about the choice of
delivering to Mailman via aliases or via postfix_to_mailman.py and keep
in mind everything in the above referenced wiki article and the things
linked therefrom.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, postfix_to_mailman.py is a hot
button issue for me. Debian distributes it; people fail to comprehend
the Debian documentation and mis-configure it and then come here for
help. Read what I said 4 years ago. I don't really blame you. You're
certainly not alone, but if Debian had to deal with all the
postfix_to_mailman.py issues I've been dealing with for years, I suspect
they'd stop distributing it.

[1] This is what you should have in master.cf it you really insist on
using postfix_to_mailman.py

mailman   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=FR user=list argv=/usr/lib/mailman/bin/postfix-to-mailman.py
  ${nexthop} ${user}