[Mailman-Users] Personalised mails, content very depending on mail client

Henrik Rasmussen her at adm.ku.dk
Mon Oct 3 10:06:12 EDT 2016

As I am testing personalized mails from Mailman (2.1.12) I was wondering why various email clients display the content different.

*         If I send an HTML mail containing only text, both Gmail and Outlook includes personalization in msg_header "Hello %(user_name)s . This is a test"

*         If I send an HTML mail containing an image, Gmail shows "Hello [member's name]. This is a test" on top and the rest of the mail, including image, but Outlook only show the e-mail (including the image), NOT the msg_header not msg_footer.

*         If I use Outlook to email received on Gmail, using IMAP connection, "Hello [member's name]. This is a test" is displayed at the top of the received mail, but the content from the sender and the image is attached.

My content filtering -> pass_mime_types are
multipart/mixed
multipart/alternative
text/plain
text/html

but pass_mime_types shouldn't affect the mail as content filtering -> filter_content if off. Also collapse_alternatives or convert_html_to_plaintext doesn't change a thing (as content filtering -> filter_content if off).

Is there something I, as site admin, or the list-admins can do, to get personalized HTML mails, even to Outlook users?

Henrik Rasmussen