[Mailman-Users] How to stop bounces emails

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Nov 22 15:05:21 EST 2016

On 11/21/2016 06:26 PM, Leon wrote:
> Hi, everyone. Subscribers in mailing list always get bounces emails like
> "the results of your email commands". How do I stop mailman sending out
> them?

First question. Is this regarding Mailman 2.1 or Mailman 3? (I ask
because you recently posted a MM3 issue to mailman-developers.) This
list is primarily for Mailman 2.1 user's issues. If your issue relates
to Mailman 3, a more appropriate list is mailman-users at mailman3.org
<https://lists.mailman3.org/mailman3/lists/mailman-users@mailman3.org/>.

Please use that list for Mailman 3 user's issues.

As to your question. Are these messages responses to a message that the
subscribers send to the list-request address (or other list-* addresses)
or are they responses to spam that is sent to the list-request address
spoofing the subscriber as From:?

If the former and this is Mailman 3, there are known issues with
redundant responses from list-request. See
<https://gitlab.com/mailman/mailman/issues/212>

If the latter, the way to stop this is with effective spam filtering at
the incoming MTA before the messages ever get to Mailman.