[Mailman-Users] subscribe to mailman for someone else

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Wed Nov 16 16:44:06 EST 2016

On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 12:49:34 -0800
Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> On 11/16/2016 11:17 AM, Dave Stevens wrote:
> > I have a web form that gathers user data, including their email
> > address for the purpose of, among other things, subscribing them to
> > a mailman list. I don't see how to do this. Is it possible? This is
> > for people who already want to be on the list. Confirmation as
> > usual to the new subscriber. Mailman 2.1.16
>

> It's difficult to answer without knowing how you do subscribes, but if
> you do them by email commands, you can send a message to
> LISTNAME-request at example.com with the command
>
> subscribe [password] [digest|nodigest] [address=<address>]
>
>   Subscribe to this mailing list.  Your password must be given to
>   unsubscribe or change your options, but if you omit the password,
> one will be generated for you.  You may be periodically reminded of
> your password.
>
>   The next argument may be either: `nodigest' or `digest' (no
> quotes!). If you wish to subscribe an address other than the address
> you sent this request from, you may specify `address=<address>' (no
> brackets around the email address, and no quotes!)
>
> And, there are various web ways to do it. See
> <https://wiki.list.org/x/4030648>.
>
> If this isn't what you're looking for, blease be more specific as to
> how you want to do this.

sorry not to have been more specific Mark, but what you say is in fact
very close and may be what I want, I'll need to do a test. When you say
above send a message with the command, where is the command? in the
subject line? or body?

Dave

--
Reporter to Mahatma Ghandi after his tour of east London
"What do you think of western civilization, Mr. Ghandi?"