[Mailman-Users] automatic decode of base64 text/plain

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Nov 8 16:47:54 EST 2016

Some mailers annoyingly send text/plain parts in base64 encoding, making
grep and all other standard tools ineffective.

I wonder if it would be feasible for mailman to automatically decode
such back into normal text, at least for the archives. Maybe also for
sending out, though clearly that is more intrusive.

I could also imagine this being done at the MTA level, but that seems
even more likely to be too intrusive.

I looked around a bit for methods with no luck.  Any thoughts?  --thanks, karl.

P.S. Here's an example fragment, with a leading "> " to avoid misparsing.

> PiBBcmUgeW91IHNheWluZyB0aGF0IEkgbmVlZCB0byBjaGFuZ2UgbXkgcHJvZmlsZT8gDQo+ICAg
> bGFjZSB3aGVyZSB3ZSBjb3VsZA0KPiBkbyBiZXR0ZXI6IHN1cHBvc2UgYSBzY2hlbWUtZnVsbCAo
..