[Mailman-Users] turn on tracing?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri May 20 14:59:54 EDT 2016

On 05/20/2016 11:22 AM, Richard Shetron wrote:
> How do I find out what uid:gid the programs are running with?

See 'man ps'

e.g.

ps -ewwo pid,euser,user,group,comm|egrep 'pickup|apache|python'

However, 'pickup' is a Postfix worker probably running as 'postfix', but
this is not the user/group under which Postfix will deliver to Mailman.
See the 'DELIVERY RIGHTS' paragraph in 'man local'. Note that the group
used is not the group of the aliases.db in which the alias was found. It
is the primary group of the owner of that file.

> Would I be better downloading a fresh copy of mailman and doing a
> reinstall over the broken copy?  The initial version was installed back
> in ubuntu 8.04 days when mailman wasn't a ubuntu package.  Since then
> for Ubuntu they changed some of the default groups for things, like
> mailing lists.

If your original install was from the tarball, and you still have the
directory into which you unpacked and configured it. I suggest you
download the latest release (2.1.22) from, e.g.,
<https://launchpad.net/mailman/+download>, configure it the same way and
install that.