[Mailman-Users] Problems with getting httpd to play well with new Mailman install

Christopher Adams adamsca at gmail.com
Mon May 2 17:51:46 EDT 2016

Hello all,

I recently had a server fail and I am rebuilding a new server (CentOS 7 )
for Mailman. I have the server and OS working and Mailman installed. I have
installed Mailman a number of times, so kind of know the routine.

I have Apache running and verified that it is by browsing to the root of
the web server. I created a new mailing list and then tried to navigate to
the admin and listinfo page. The result was '403 Forbidden'.

Looking in the httpd error log, I find this:  "client denied by server
configuration: /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/listinfo".

I added a block in the httpd.conf file to allow access to the cgi-bin
directory and restarted httpd. Still, I am being forbidden. Files and
directories are owned by mailman.mailman and they seem like they have
proper permissions. I am assuming that it is

<Directory      "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/">
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
</Directory>

I then commented out the directory block that limited access to the entire
file system. I restarted httpd. Now, I get this :
Bug in Mailman version 2.1.22 We're sorry, we hit a bug!

--
Christopher Adams
adamsca at gmail.com