[Mailman-Users] Renaming a list

Chris Nulk cnulk at scu.edu
Wed Mar 23 14:25:21 EDT 2016

On 3/23/2016 10:39 AM, Adam McGreggor wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 11:02:10AM -0700, Chris Nulk wrote:
>> I have a copy of Mark's clone_list command and it will allow us to
>> rename lists.  Which is great and not a problem for me.  However, I
>> am not the person normally involved with list creation, etc. Another
>> group does it.  Normally through the web interface which works well
>> for them.  Unless a mistake is made then they have to use the
>> command line tools.  Again, not a problem for me but that group has
>> very limited knowledge of linux/unix and Mailman.
> If they can be assumed to use old list and new list as parameters
> (although I could do a check for each…)
>
>      https://gist.github.com/adamamyl/6909815#file-rename-list
>
> may be useful
>
> invoked as `rename-list old-list new-list`

Thanks for the info Adam.  I was planning on creating a script to do the
renaming like your script.   While looking at the Mailman FAQ's on
renaming a list, I saw the link to Mark's clone_list.  To make it easier
for the group that would be using the script, I added in the bits to
also copy the archives and rebuild them.  I am just happy I don't have
to write the bash script I was planning.  The process has eighteen steps
including notifying the list owner (important), doing the work,
verifying everything, and administrative work.  The new process using
clone_list has seven steps most of which is administrative.

Thanks again,
Chris