[Mailman-Users] can a single mailman/postfix instance run lists for two different domains?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Mar 15 03:25:31 EDT 2016

On 03/14/2016 09:37 AM, Jack Beanstallk wrote:

> We have a mailman list running:-
>
> mailman hostname = lists.example1.org
> mailling list domain = example1.org

I'm assuming you're using Mailman 2.1.  Mailman 3 is different in
several ways, but supports multiple domains without restriction.

Mailman 2.1.x as distributed by the GNU Mailman project supports
multiple domains with the restriction that list names must be globally
unique.

> mx record for example1.org points to lists.example1.org
>
> Mailman and postfix are configured to use the hostname and
> domain explicitly to handle example1.org mailing lists.
>
> Can a single mailman/postfix instance be configured to handle mailing lists
> for two different domains, if yes, how is this configured?

Yes, see <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node12.html> and it's
subsections.

There are some other things like add_virtualhost() lines in mm_cfg.py
and things get a little messy if you want to use the same web host for
the web UI for lists in different email domains, but it is certainly
doable in multiple ways, but as I said you can't have two lists with the
same name even if the domains are different.

> e.g.
>
> mailman hostname = lists.example1.org
>
> mailling list domains to handle
> example1.org
> different1.org
>
> mx record for example1.org points to lists.example1.org
> There is no mx record for different1.org but if mailman/postfix can handle
> multiple domains, the mx record can change to point to lists.example1.org

The easiest thing is just add different1.org to mydestination in Postfix
main.cf and add aliases for lists in both domains without regard to
domain. You may or may not be able to do that and you may or may not
need to make changes to Mailman's config, or possibly just change the
host_name attribute for lists in different1.org.

Without knowing more specifics about your current postfix and Mailman
configs, I can't say much more.