[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.1.2 unsubscribe without confirmation action

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jul 15 13:55:54 EDT 2016

On 07/15/2016 09:34 AM, Montanez, Victor wrote:
> Can the list owners send a command via email to unsubscribe users of
> a list that will NOT cause a confirmation email to be generated to
> the subscribers?

Only if the admin knows the user's list password. If so, the admin can
send the command

to the list's -request address, but it must be the user's list password.
No other password will work.

A possible alternative is to set the list's Privacy options... ->
Subscription rules -> unsubscribe_policy to yes and send

to the list's -request address. This will result in the unsubscribe (all
unsubscribes) being held for admin approval, but the admin can't approve
the held unsubscribe by email, so tha probably won't help.

> We want to send an email to mailman to remove subscribers without
> requiring confirmation from the subscribed users. All settings I have
> tried still generate a confirmation email and subscriber interaction
> is required.

You could consider patching Mailman/Commands/cmd_unsubscribe.py to
accept the list admin password or some other secret as an alternate to
the user's password. I think that's the only way.