[Mailman-Users] How to actively read the list online?

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Wed Jul 13 08:37:44 EDT 2016

On Wed, 13 Jul 2016, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Lucio Chiappetti writes:

> > Anyhow, getting a self-refreshing html page is just a matter of adding a
>
> Sure, but if the page itself is static (as in a conventional mailing
> list archive), that won't help.  The archive host has to be prepared
> to feed *new* pages, not refresh the old one, when accessed.

Might be not that different (although perhaps is an overkill).

There is no much difference in refreshing a page with a click of the user,
and having the browser requesting a refresh with a meta-equiv-refresh if
the underlying page has changed.

I do use the trick with some of my pages, some are CGI scripts which
auto-refresh, but in other cases the page can be modified by a crontab
script (I say overkill because if the meta-equiv-refresh asks for a
refresh every minute, and the crontab updates the page every 15-30 min
most of the refresh will be void)

Consider a standard mailman thread archive like e.g.
https://listmgr.nrao.edu/pipermail/fitsbits/2016-July/thread.html

If somebody will make a new post, and I reload the archive page, I will
see the new message (I use this trick to verify a message was archived
after I sent it).

If one could MODIFY the standard format of the archive page in mailman to
prepend the meta-equiv-refresh (and I do not know how easy is that. I've
never personalised any of the mailman HTML pages although I know for some
is possible, maybe one has to patch code) ... that would do the trick.