[Mailman-Users] Mailman installation does not work

Bob livingsky at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 14:02:29 EDT 2016

Thanks for responding Mark. My replies to your comments are below.

On 2016-07-07 10:02 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 7/6/16 10:38 AM, Bob Lydiate wrote:
>> Problem 1
>> When I run 'check_perms -f' it tells me that the permissions on
>> /var/lib/mailman/cron bad group (has:root, expected list) (fixing)
>> this problem is repeated with 9 other scripts. When I check the actual
>> directory '/var/lib/mailman' I find that these files are all links to
>> '/usr/lib/*; where the correct group is set.
>
> You can ignore the check_perms error. It comes about because the Debian
> (and hence Ubuntu) package patches check_perms to use os.lstat rather
> than os.stat and thus looks at the mode and group of the symlink instead
> of the target. The mode and group of the symlink are irrelevant and
> can't be changed anyway.

Thank you for pointing this out. I was hoping that this was the case.

>> When I try to access the web interface, I am asked if I want to open a file
>> called 'admin' instead of opening a webpage called admin.
>
> This is an issue with your Apache config. See
> <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node10.html>.

I have done what this page says as far as I can tell and it still
doesn't serve up a webpage. What I have in
'/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/mailman.conf' is

      <Directory /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/>
         AllowOverride None
         Options ExecCGI
         AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
         Require all granted
    </Directory>
    <Directory /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/>
         Options FollowSymlinks
         AllowOverride None
         Require all granted
    </Directory>
    <Directory /usr/share/images/mailman/>
         AllowOverride None
         Require all granted
    </Directory>

>> when I run '/etc/init.d/mailman start' or the equivalent for postfix or
>> apache, I get no errors.
>
> OK.
>

>> I did alter the config setup to have mydomain.ca rather than
>> lists.mydomain.ca, but that is the only change I made to the config as it
>> came through.
>
> What exactly did you change?
from /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'faithwalk.ca'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST   = 'faithwalk.ca'

and from /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/mailman.conf
<VirtualHost *>
ServerName faithwalk.ca
DocumentRoot /var/www/
ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/lists-error.log
CustomLog /var/log/apache2/lists-access.log combined

<Directory /var/lib/mailman/archives/>
     Options FollowSymLinks
     AllowOverride None
</Directory>

Alias /pipermail/ /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/
Alias /images/mailman/ /usr/share/images/mailman/
ScriptAlias /admin /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/admin
ScriptAlias /admindb /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/admindb
ScriptAlias /confirm /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/confirm
ScriptAlias /create /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/create
ScriptAlias /edithtml /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/edithtml
ScriptAlias /listinfo /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo
ScriptAlias /options /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/options
ScriptAlias /private /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/private
ScriptAlias /rmlist /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/rmlist
ScriptAlias /roster /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/roster
ScriptAlias /subscribe /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/subscribe
ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/
</VirtualHost>

>> I have checked the archives and have searched out the issues that I
>> suspect, but have found nothing that worked to fix these issues.
>
> What exactly are your issues? What doesn't work? What do you do that
> produces a result different from what you expect, and what is the result?

The things that I am searching out are the things mentioned above plus
mail not being delivered through the list. I am pretty focused on
figuring out the web interface problem first as it was the first problem
I noticed. I have figured out that mailman is working, I can create
lists and add members through the command line, but the list mail is not
getting delivered. The mail log says it was sent, but I do not receive
it on any of the addresses I added to my testlist.