[Mailman-Users] Users complain, they don't receive mails from the list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jan 25 18:11:48 EST 2016

On 01/25/2016 02:48 PM, Sascha Rissel wrote:

> thanks for your answer.
> I just checked the bounce log.
>
> And I discovered a lot of entries like:
>
> Jan 25 18:33:24 2016 (2741) <BounceRunner at 12019976> processing 9 queued
> bounces
> Jan 25 18:33:24 2016 (2741) <my-list-name>: <some mail address> already
> scored a bounce for date 25-Jan-2016
> where all mail addresses are from German Web.de and GMX. Both providers
> belong to the same company.
> Thinking about this, I remembered a bounce notification I received last
> week, where some of these addresses were set to disabled by Mailman, with
> the notification below.
>
> Did GMX/Web.de maybe change their mail processing policies with the start
> of the new year?

Possibly. See below.

> Below follows an excerpt from the bounce notification.
>
> Bounce Mail:
>
> <some_user at web.de>: host mx-ha02.web.de[212.227.17.8] refused to talk
>     to me: 554-web.de (mxweb107) Nemesis ESMTP Service not available 554-No
>     SMTP service 554-Bad DNS PTR resource record. 554 For explanation visit
>     http://postmaster.web.de/error-messages?ip=62.75.175.182&c=rdns

OK. The recipient's mail exchange server is refusing your mail. web.de's
explanation of this is at
<http://postmaster.web.de/error-messages?ip=62.75.175.182&c=rdns#nordns>.

In simple terms, it claims your mail server is not properly configured.
I don't know what your Mailman server's domain name is, but it appears
from the error message that its IP is 62.75.175.182 and that IP has an
rDNS PTR record to euve51864.serverprofi24.de.

In any case you need to ensure the IP address your server sends from has
a rDNS (PTR) record pointing to its host name and that host name in turn
needs an A record with the same IP address. Also, it should identify
itself with this same name in the SMTP HELO or EHLO command.

According to the tool at
<http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=smtp%3a62.75.175.182&run=toolpage>,
this is all OK, so I don't know why web.de is complaining. I suggest you
use the form at
<http://postmaster.web.de/en/contact/?ip=62.75.175.182&c=rdns> to ask them.