[Mailman-Users] diacritics in from header with from_is_list set to munge

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jan 21 13:15:33 EST 2016

On 01/21/2016 09:27 AM, gabriel wrote:

> That may not be so easy. in fact there is no archive of that list, but haven't
> archived messages not been processed by mailman?

OK. I sent my last reply before I saw this.

So there are no archives from which to retrieve what I asked for. I'm
still interested in seeing the unmunged, raw headers from the message
delivered by Mailman, but I'm sure I know what's happening.

> luckily exactly this message has been posted on one other list i have access to:
> what is grabbing my attention here is that there is no text in the From: field,
> only the blank email address. digging little further reveals that the text that
> gets merged originates from the members name field with which that address is
> associated in mailman.

Yes, Mailman does that.

Here's what I think is happening.

Mailman is munging the From: header from

From: valerie at mydomain.org

From: valérie via List <list at example.com>

where valérie comes from the member's name field in the list membership.
This is done to try to identify the member without actually including an
email address in the display name as that is said to be a red flag to
some ISPs.

Mailman should really RFC 2047 encode the resultant display name or at
least the non-ascii part of it, but it doesn't. I accept this as a
Mailman bug and will work on fixing it.

Anyway, Mailman sends the message with that non-ascii From: header and
the outgoing MTA attempts to fix it and in the process makes it even worse.