[Mailman-Users] diacritics in from header with from_is_list set to munge

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Jan 21 11:06:29 EST 2016

gabriel writes:
 > On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 11:44:26AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
 > >
 > > Absent a bug in the email package.  But yes, I'm suggesting exactly
 > > that there's a broken MUA out there sending something that doesn't
 > > parse correctly, and the email package is failing to respect the "In
 > > the face of ambiguity, refuse to guess" Zen.
 >
 > unfortunately i cannot check for the python version as i don't have
 > commandline access to the server.

Ah, that probably doesn't matter.  That remark was really directed to
Mark.

 > so the message of users getting bounced look like (abbreviated):

 > This is a delivery status notification from some.server.org,
 > running the Courier mail server, version 0.75.0.

FYI, bounce messages may or may not be useful, as some bounce programs
do mess with the mail they forward.  I know you probably can't do
anything about this, this is the best you can do.

 > From: =?utf-8?q?Val=C3=A9rie/Something_via_mylist_=3Cmyli?=,
 >       =?utf-8?b?ZW5AbGlzdHMubXRtZWRpYS5vcmc+?=

 > Sender: "mylist" <mylist-bounces at lists.mydomain.org>

So this has already been through Mailman.  We really really need to
see the mail as it was *before* Mailman handled it (possibly in the
mbox file in the archive, if you have it).

And then you've redacted stuff, and that may matter.  If you don't
want to send unredacted headers to a list with public archives, we
understand, but in that case you can and should send them to Mark (and
possibly me, but Mark is the real expert if you really want to send it
to the fewest people) privately.

I don't think this is a Mailman bug.  Mailman would not choose to send
using two different transfer encodings (Q in the first line, B in the
second).  So I suspect Mailman is just forwarding the garbage it
receives, or something downstream of Mailman is doing it.