[Mailman-Users] diacritics in from header with from_is_list set to munge

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Jan 20 21:44:26 EST 2016

[Aside: I sent my previous message from the wrong address, and it was
rejected.  I am *not* resending it, since Mark quoted everything at
some point.  Nobody except me lost mail, and I deserved to! :-]

Mark Sapiro writes:
 > On 01/20/2016 04:23 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

 > > Really?  It's not that you're looking at this in your MUA and it's
 > > being silently MIME-encoded and -decoded at the MTA/MUA boundary?
 >
 > Really.

OK, just checking.

 > > One thing I've seen is this:
 > >
 > >     in MUA UI:    From: auser at example.com (non-ASCII display name)
 > >
 > >     on the wire:  From: auser at example.com (non-ASCII display name)
 >
 > Yes, I see where that would be an issue, but as far as Mailman is
 > concerned, this would only be an issue if the incoming post had that
 > From: header.

 > Mailman would never create a header like that.

Absent a bug in the email package.  But yes, I'm suggesting exactly
that there's a broken MUA out there sending something that doesn't
parse correctly, and the email package is failing to respect the "In
the face of ambiguity, refuse to guess" Zen.

We really need to see both the input and the output headers that
Mailman sends and receives.

Steve