[Mailman-Users] known_spammers issue

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jan 14 13:25:50 EST 2016

On 01/14/2016 09:45 AM, Bryan Teague wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have updated the KNOWN_SPAMMERS array in the mm_cfg.py  and then bounced the Qrunner.   I am using Mailman 2.1.15 with postfix.
>
> My known_spammer declaration is:
>
> KNOWN_SPAMMERS =[('from', 'hellocatboots.*’)]

KNOWN_SPAMMERS is an old setting. The list's Privacy options... -> Spam
filters -> header_filter_rules is much more powerful and flexible.

> Is there something I am missing on blocking the subscription requests now?  These are all coming in via email.

What makes you think they are all coming by email? All the ones I see
come via the web, but in any case, neither KNOWN_SPAMMERS nor
header_filter_rules is applied to mail to the
listname-{join|subscribe|request} addresses. They only apply to mail to
the list and to listname-owner.

You need to use the ban_list to stop these. See this post
<https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2016-January/080303.html>
and the posts and threads linked from that.

Do not be misled by the fact that that post refers to "the
newly implemented, not yet released GLOBAL_BAN_LIST". Each list has it's
own Privacy options... -> Subscription rules -> ban_list and there is a
withlist script at <https://www.msapiro.net/scripts/add_banned.py>
(mirrored at <http://fog.ccsf.edu/~msapiro/scripts/add_banned.py>) which
can add the regexp to the ban_list for all lists.