[Mailman-Users] Bounce processing

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Feb 29 16:20:38 EST 2016

On 02/29/2016 12:48 PM, Keith Seyffarth wrote:

> I haven't had any problems with my many low-volume lists correctly
> removing dead addresses - as long as the receiving MTA is not configured
> to not bounce undeliverable mail properly...

It depends on the list and settings. The defaults are
bounce_score_threshold = 5 and bounce_info_stale_after = 7. This means a
user's delivery won't be disabled by bounce until the list has received
bounces on 5 separate days with no more than 7 days between bounces.
With these settings, a list which receives posts on average less than
one day a week, will never see anyone's delivery disabled by bounce or
removed by bounce processing.

For low volume lists, a lower threshold and a longer
bounce_info_stale_after are often more appropriate.