[Mailman-Users] speed up mailman

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Mon Feb 29 11:34:16 EST 2016

On 2/28/2016 11:19 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 02/28/2016 10:51 PM, Ruben Safir wrote:
>> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = check_client_access
>> hash:/etc/postfix/helo_client_exceptions check_sender_access
>> hash:/etc/postfix/sender_checks, reject_invalid_hostname,
[...]

> This is almost certainly your problem. All those checks take time,
> especially if DNS is slow.

All this suggests an overly-complex email setup. If the goal is spam
rejection, consider using spam-assassin or even pipe the email through on of
the paid on-line services; don't use the postfix address filters for this.
You'll find all manner of docs online describing how to set this up.

As in any discovery effort- it it was "working well" and isn't any more,
what changed?

Is your internet connection classed as residential or business? The former
can have all manner of semi-secret filter/throttling applied.

Is your DNS forwarding to the cable company's server(s) or another, such as
google (8.8.8.8)? When I had cable internet, the local servers were terrible
and -their- support eventually suggested I use that company's DNS in another
region and gave me those addresses.

Oh, did you do any of the simple tests like look at the timing when you
manually send to some of the failing addresses? (I don't recall seeing this
mentioned.)

Later,

z!