[Mailman-Users] Config dump? - WAS Re: speed up mailman

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Feb 29 04:19:04 EST 2016

Thanks for the suggestions, Hank!

Hank van Cleef writes:

 > From looking at your Postfix logs, it looks as though you have a major
 > DNS problem.  I suggest that you install bind and set up a caching DNS
 > server on the same box that is running Mailman.

Good idea, but I suspect that wouldn't help enough, as the test I did
on gnutelephony.org timed out.  You don't cache a timeout, you retry
(or if you're human, you curse the spammers and remove the address).
That was at home, now, with a university-grade network connection, I'm
getting NXDOMAIN.  It takes ~10s (middle of 3), though, which is a
pretty substantial delay.[1]

Also, IIRC, most modern Linux distros already do have a cache in the
libc resolver code anyway.  I don't know if it's big enough to handle
Mailman-sized request floods, though.

Footnotes:
[1]  I wonder if the root nameservers are getting hammered?