[Mailman-Users] speed up mailman

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Feb 28 15:05:31 EST 2016

Mark Sapiro writes:

 > Even with full VERP, Mailman should be able to deliver tens of messages
 > per second to Postfix. If it is slower than that, there is a n issue
 > with delivery. Once we have more info on whether the queue is backlogged
 > and what the delivery rate is, we can say more.
 > You might find some of the hits from the google search
 >
 > site:mail.python.org inurl:mailman backlogged out queue
 >
 > of interest.

@Ruben: If that doesn't make it obvious what you need to do, you might
want to tell us something about your configuration and use case.  What
version of Mailman?  Did you install as a package from a distribution
or from the source code?  If from a distribution, which one?

How big are the lists (number of subscribed addresses, maximum size
if there are several, and sizes can be order-of-magnitude like tens,
thousands, hundred million)?  How many such lists?  As Mark says, you
still should be able to move up to 100,000 messages/hour with modest
hardware under normal conditions.  You normally have to have a huge
backlog (thousands of individual messages in the outgoing queue) to
see significant slowdown -- a couple of hundred should clear within a
few minutes.  Note: one post typically translates to several outgoing
messages, up to the number of enabled subscribers for a list with full
personalization.

Are your lists configured for personalization (eg, per-user
information such as subscription management URL in the footer)?