[Mailman-Users] Switching to Mailman?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Feb 28 13:24:46 EST 2016

There is a FAQ on this at <http://wiki.list.org/x/17891892>

> * What Operating System should I prefer for Mailman? The standard
> MacOS, or the Server version? I have nearly every MacOS ar my
> disposal starting from 10.4 or so (but I think 10.6 should be the
> minimum to use) of the standard version, as well as 10.6 Server, as
> well as the "Server Apps" version 2.2.1, 3.0.3, 3.2.1. and 4 (which,
> I think, belongs to MacOS X 10.10).
>
> * Can "standard" Mailman reliably work on MacOS X / MacOS X Server?
> What should be preferred?

Go to <http://wiki.list.org/FrontPage> and search titles for "mac".

I have a source install of Mailman 2.1 on Mac OS X 10.11 (originally
installed on 10.10) in a fink environment with the fink versions of
Postfix and Apache. This works fine for my development purposes.

Others have installed Mailman 3 in a similar environment and I will be
doing that too at some point, but I haven't yet.

> * Better use Mailman 2.1 or Mailman 3?

Mailman 3 is the future and arguably a better choice for new lists.

> * Does anybody here work with the Apple-version of Mailman?

There are some posts in the list archives from people who do. Maybe
they'll speak up.

> * Or, does anybody here have a proposal for a different List Server
> software than Mailman?

On a mailman-users list?

> I am presently running 2 mailing lists. Both are "announcement lists"
> where no discussion is possible. One has about 120 or so addresses,
> the other has about 500. The smaller one gets messages for
> distribution about twice a month, the bigger one once in about every
> 2-3 months. Both lists allow attachments.

Have you considered a Raspberry Pi ;)

Seriously, this is pretty low volume. I think almost anything can handle it.

I think your most serious issue would be getting your mail accepted by
recipient ISPs without a 'non-generic' domain name and 'full circle' DNS
unless you are using your ISP as a smart host to relay your outbound
mail, but that would not be any different than with your current
solution, so I guess you have it covered.