[Mailman-Users] speed up mailman

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Feb 28 12:33:33 EST 2016

On 02/28/2016 07:29 AM, Ruben Safir wrote:

> No, I mean I send messages and they don't show up for a half hour even
> in the postfix logs....

Assuming Mailman 2.1.x, the usual cause of this is a backlogged 'out'
queue in Mailman. Look at Mailman's 'smtp' log, and look at how many
files are in Mailman's qfiles/out/ directory (/var/spool/mailman/out in
some packages).

If there are more than one or two files in the out/ queue, and if the
smtp log has successive entries of the form

Feb 28 08:55:43 2016 (30307) <mesage-id> smtp to list for nnn recips,
completed in t.ttt seconds

with each messages time stamp being t.ttt seconds later than the
preceding message, the out/ queue is backlogged. If that is the case,
Mailman isn't able to deliver fast enough to Postfix to keep up with
it's volume.

Even with full VERP, Mailman should be able to deliver tens of messages
per second to Postfix. If it is slower than that, there is a n issue
with delivery. Once we have more info on whether the queue is backlogged
and what the delivery rate is, we can say more.
You might find some of the hits from the google search

site:mail.python.org inurl:mailman backlogged out queue

of interest.