[Mailman-Users] speed up mailman

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Feb 28 03:47:08 EST 2016

Ruben Safir writes:

 > How do I speed up mailman so that it works instantaneously and stops
 > storing messages.

If you mean "Mailman is administratively holding messages until
released by a moderator," you need to tell us more about your current
configuration and needs.  There are several reasons why Mailman will
hold messages -- what is the reason that Mailman gives for holding
your messages?

OTOH, if it's performance problem and messages are piling up in
queues, well, that is simply how mail works: put the message in a file
where the next program in the pipeline will find it and pass it on.
In fact, Mailman is capable of filling pretty much any pipe you're
likely to have available.  (People very frequently complain that
Mailman sends too much mail too fast.)  If there's a performance
problem, almost surely either your ISP is throttling you, or your MTA
is misconfigured.  Again, we need to know more about how Mailman is
installed, what you're trying to do, and what the other software
involved is (at least an MTA such as Postfix, Exim, Sendmail, or
Qmail, and preferably virus and spam filters).

Steve