[Mailman-Users] Bounce email going to list server admin not list owner...

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Feb 24 21:22:22 EST 2016

On 02/24/2016 02:25 PM, The Mailing List System Admin wrote:
> Didn't have luck researching this question.  I (the list server admin)
> recently received the following bounce notice:
>
>> From Joe.Anybody at example.edu Wed Feb 24 15:55:18 2016
>> From: "Anybody, Joe" <Joe.Anybody at example.edu>
>> To: Xyz.Forum <mailman-bounces at lists.example.edu>
>> Subject: Automatic reply: Added to the list
>> Sender: "Mailman" <mailman-loop at lists.example.edu>
>> Subject: Automatic reply: Added to the list
>>
>> I am out of the office...
>
> I don't understand why this bounce went to the server admin list...
>
>     mailman-bounces: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces mailman"
>
> and not the bounce address for the specific list involved...
>
>     xyz.forum-bounces: |"/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces xyz.forum"
>
> It is apparent from the "To:" that the name of the list involved was
> known.

it is unclear to me what is going on here. I.e. this is an out of office
reply from "Anybody, Joe" <Joe.Anybody at example.edu> and it is being sent
to Xyz.Forum <mailman-bounces at lists.example.edu>.

The questions are to what message is this out of office reply replying,
and is mailman-bounces at ... the appropriate address for this or is this a
case of an out-of-office responder replying to an inappropriate address.

Note that monthly password reminders are sent from the mailman list as
they are not necessarily specific to a single list, so out-of office
replies may goto the mailman list in these cases, but this does not seem
to be a response to a password reminder.

I do not recognize the Subject "Automatic reply: Added to the list", so
I don't know what this message is.

All I can suggest is you look at your MTA logs and try to determine to
what message this is a response and what generated this message. Then we
may be able to go further with this.