[Mailman-Users] e-mails being kind of blackholed when sent to list or list-robot

Fernando Gont fernando at gont.com.ar
Sat Feb 20 09:06:00 EST 2016

Hello, Mark,

Thanks so much for your kind help.

Meta answer: quite to my surprise, the problem was that mailman wasn't
running. Apparently the reason was that, when the system was rebooted,
mailman failed to start because there was no mailman@ list. Once I
created it, the problem was solved. (is this list really needed?)

I'm curious how I was able to start mailman in the first place, though.

More comments in-line...

On 02/17/2016 03:17 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 02/16/2016 10:14 PM, Fernando Gont wrote:
>
>> Essentially, any emails that I send to the mail-robot aliases (e.g.
>> listname-request at mydomain.com) are kind of blackholed: I don't get a
>> response from mailman, but I also don't get any sort of "user unknown
>> message" either.
>>
>> Similarly, if I try to post to the list, the messages vanish (they are
>> not forwarded to the subscribers but you don't get a "reject", either).
>> This is my Postfix config (postconf -n):
>>
>> ---- cut here ----
>
> OK
>

>> This is mm_cfg.py:
>>
>> ----cut here ----
>
> OK
>

>> If I look at /var/log/mail.info, I can see that my messages (the one I
>> set to the robot ipv6hackers-request at lists.si6networks.com, and the one
>> where I tried to post to the list at ipv6hackers at lists.si6netwoks.com)
>> have been handled to mailman, aparently:
>>
>> ---- cut here ----
>> # -*- python -*-
>>
>> # Copyright (C) 1998,1999,2000 by the Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>

> This is another copy of mm_cfg.py, not a copy of relevant
> /var/log/mail.info (or /var/log/mail.log) entries.

Oops, my bad, sorry.

>> ----cut here ----
>
> Do the actual entries contain things like
>
> status=sent (delivered to command: /usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request
> ipv6hackers)
>
> and
>
> status=sent (delivered to command: /usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post
> ipv6hackers)
>
> Or do they perhaps say
>
> status=sent (delivered via mailman service)

The later.

I thought that the emails had been lost, but when I was finally able to
start mailman, it turned out they wasn't. -- I assume postfix coudln't
really handle the mails to mailman, and hence queued them?

>> But the logs in var/log/mailman remain unaffected.
>

> including /var/log/mailman/error?

Nothing there -- but it kind of makes sense, since mailman wasn't really
running in the first place?

Thanks!

Cheers,
--