[Mailman-Users] cgi wrappers not properly executing

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Dec 16 11:10:00 EST 2016

On 12/15/2016 10:48 PM, John Covici wrote:

> When I try to do anything on the web, I get permission denied error on
> /var/lib/mailman/logs/error  .  If I then make that file world
> read/write, I get permission denied error on config.pck of the list I
> am trying to access.
>
> Now, everything under /var/lib/mailman is owned by mailman.mailman and
> the cgi wrappers are all like the following:
> -rwxr-sr-x 1 mailman mailman 10512 Nov 16 12:45
> /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/admin

Probably the file system containing /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/ is mounted
with the 'nosuid' option so the SETGID bit on the wrapper is not effective.

You could work around this by changing the ownership of everything to
webuser:mailman where webuser is the user the web server runs the CGIs
as, but better to mount the filsystem suid.