[Mailman-Users] footer format

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Dec 13 19:02:17 EST 2016

On 12/13/2016 03:54 PM, Adam Goldberg wrote:
> Send grid gives you the ability to see if someone opened the email, etc. clearly it was sendgrid that added that (and that's why I don't use sendgrid).

Yes, that's what web bugs are for, but in addition to being annoying
invasions of privacy, they are totally unreliable as a means of knowing
whether someone read the mail. All they will tell you is that the
recipient 'opened' the mail which doesn't mean she read it. Also many
MUAs will not load external images in HTML mail without at least asking
first so many people may have read the mail without ever loading the
encoded image URL.