Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Thu Dec 1 12:13:32 EST 2016

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 12/01/2016 04:48 AM, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> > Hi postmaster at python.org
> > cc: mailman-users at python.org
> >
> > I sent this to webmaster at mail.python.org per request of your web page
> >
> > "Julian H. Stacey" wrote:
> >> Hi webmaster at mail.python.org
> >> FYI
> >> https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-announce
> >> Bug in Mailman version 2.1.23
> >>
> >> We're sorry, we hit a bug!
> >>
> >> Please inform the webmaster for this site of this problem. Printing of traceback and other system information has been explicitly inhibited, but the webmaster can find this information in the Mailman error logs.
> >
> > I got this inapproprate automatic junk back:
> >
> >> Sender: "Webmaster" <webmaster-bounces+jhs=berklix.com at python.org>
> >>
> >> READ THIS!  (If you want help.)
> >
> > No I dont want help. So noise skipped.
> > Your site asked for help.  Then your site discarded the help you had requested.
>

> I'm sorry about that. The message about contacting the webmaster is
> generic, and is not appropriate for mail.python.org. I'll fix that.

Thanks Mark.

> > PS This also fails:
>

> It works for me.

Yes, these work here too now:

> Can you be specific about the time this occurred?

Yes, decrement typing time of maybe 2/3 minutes from my ~/mail/sent/ entry
which has
	Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2016 12:26:18 +0100
	Subject: bug: https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-announce/jhs-list%40berklix.org
	To: webmaster at mail.python.org

Sorry I omitted date.

The error was still present after the auto bounce from
webmaster@, when in mail #2 I added
	cc: mailman-users at python.org with
& then for completeness also checked & failed on
2nd mail was sent:
	Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2016 13:48:24 +0100

> For the last 10 hours or so (from about 06:00 until 16:30 UTC) there was
> a permissions issue in the error log. There is no traceback there, but
> that may be because of the permissions.

Yes my accesses were inside that window.

Thanks for all the time you devote to mailman !

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Linux Unix Sys Eng Consultant Munich
 Reply below, Prefix '> '. Plain text, No .doc, base64, HTML, quoted-printable.