[Mailman-Users] AOL rejecting connections from mailman servers for DMARC Munging.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Aug 24 13:32:06 EDT 2016

On 08/23/2016 03:55 PM, Ted Hatfield wrote:

> Few mails from IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xx were getting rejected from one of
> filters as Reply-to address is same as the TO address. This is caused as
> one of our filters triggered these emails as spam. I have added
> protection for your IP. As a good mailing practice, please use a
> different email address for your reply-to address.

Don't munge Reply-To: ;)

> It seems to me that since dmarc munging adds the senders address to the
> reply-to header, if a user receives a copy of their own postings this is
> the result.

No. Based on AOL's reply above, this has nothing to do with DMARC. If
you set reply_goes_to_list to This list (note that Poster is the
/strongly/ recommended setting) both the To: and Reply-To: headers of
outgoing messages will contain the list address.

However, it seems that this means AOL will not accept mail from any list
with reply_goes_to_list = This list, and since this is a common,
although not recommended, configuration, if this is the case, it seems
there should be much more reports of this issue, and I haven't seen that.

> Can anyone else confirm that this has happened to them and if so what
> else can someone do except to wrap the message from senders that
> implement dmarc rejection as in dmarc_moderation_action?

Even if this is a DMARC issue, Wrap message won't change it because the
headers in the wrapper will be the same as those in a Munge from message.

> Is there a recommended policy regarding this issue?

Set reply_goes_to_list to Poster