[Mailman-Users] Mailman and local user collisions

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Fri Aug 12 17:55:54 EDT 2016

On 8/12/2016 2:08 PM, Ezsra McDonald wrote:
> I discovered recently that there is a local user and a mailman list with
> the same user at . The mail goes to the list and not the user. What is the
> trick to make Postfix handle these separately?
>
> Lets say the domain is somewhere.com and the list is list.somewhere.com.

If you have joeuser at somewhere.com (local user) and
thelist at list.somewhere.com with the list-member joeuser at somewhere.com, that
sounds like correct behavior.

OTOH do you have makemoneyfast at somewhere.com as a personal mailbox and
makemoneyfast at list.somewhere.com as the name of a mailman list? That's a bad
idea, in general. Can you even route around that? If they're effectively
both local users in the same email domain, I'm not sure how it can work, but
I'm not an expert.  IME attempting to differentiate by a 'list.' subdomain
or hostname tends to break because people forget that part or it gets
stripped along the way.

Later,

z!