[Mailman-Users] Sending reminder without password

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Apr 21 10:20:18 EDT 2016

On 04/21/2016 06:02 AM, Martin Stein wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a way to send the monthly password reminder message
> without the member(s) password(s). The list member should only see the
> name(s) of the subcribed list(s) and the corresponding URL.
> How can I modify the responsible mailpasswds-Script in
> /usr/lib/mailman/cron to preventing it from sending the password(s)?

At around line 242 you will see

                try:
                    password = mlist.getMemberPassword(member)
                except Errors.NotAMemberError:
                    # Here's a member with no passwords, which I think was
                    # possible in older versions of Mailman.  Log this and
                    # move on.
                    syslog('error', 'password-less member %s for list %s',
                           member, mlist.internal_name())
                    continue

(although not wrapped). Remove all those lines and replace them with the
one line

                password = '****'

or something similar indented the same 16 spaces as the 'try' (don't use
tabs). This is the easiest change and will show the passwords as ****.
Eliminating the passwords completely is a more complex change.