[Mailman-Users] Getting lots of unsubscribe emails after migrating to new mailman version

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Apr 19 17:38:49 EDT 2016

On 04/19/2016 01:14 PM, Steve Wehr wrote:
> I host about 75 mailing lists for my clients. Last week I completed a
> migration to a new server and mailman 2.1.20. Ever since then mailman has
> been sending hundreds of unsubscribe notifications to many (but not all) of
> the list owners. The emails addresses in question seem to be old bad
> addresses that are being bounced. But one user has been receiving 250 such
> emails per day.
>
> Why did this happen after the emigration? Should I just let mailman run it's
> course and these will stop on their own? Are there some files I can check to
> see what is going on?

First of all, check Mailman's bounce and subscribe logs to see if these
are unsubscribes from bounce processing.

It is quite possible that the new server is being blocked by recipient
ISPs, either because of misconfiguration or just because it's an IP they
haven't seen before suddenly sending a lot of mail. Check your MTA's
logs for SMTP rejects and reasons.

However, at least with default bounce processing settings, an address
that just begins to bounce won't have delivery disabled for at least 5
days and won't be actually unsubscribed for another three weeks, so if
the migration just occurred last week, either lots of lists have non
default bounce processing, or something else is going on.

Eventually this will stop after the lists have no members, and probably
somewhat before that ;)