[Mailman-Users] Command output: post script, list not found: XXXXX

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Apr 16 12:22:00 EDT 2016

On 04/15/2016 03:40 PM, Steve Wehr wrote:

> I was running mailman successfully for years on my server. Then this week I
> cut over to a new server and hired someone to install the latest version of
> mailman and migrate all my existing lists. This mostly works.

Have they cashed the check yet?

> I can run /usr/lib/mailman/bin/list_lists and all my lists are displayed. I
> can use the mailman admin page to list all my lists and I can edit each of
> them from there.
>
> But when I try to send email to any list, my email is sent back to me with
> the following message:
>
> <Test at tunedinweb.com>: Command died with status 1:
>
>     "/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post test". Command output: post script,
>
>     list not found: test

I don't have a good guess, but based on what you've shown is there and
the fact that the web CGIs access the correct stuff, I think the mail
wrapper is pointing at the wrong installation.

I.e., I think that in the configuration and installation process, there
was more than one configuration done with different values for --prefix=
and somehow the mail wrapper in /usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman hasn't
been compiled with the correct prefix.

Things to check are

1) what is the value of 'prefix' in /usr/lib/mailman/scripts/paths.py
(although if this were wrong, the web stuff wouldn't work either)

Also, does
  diff /usr/lib/mailman/scripts/paths.py /usr/lib/mailman/bin/paths.py
show any difference? (it shouldn't)

2) run
  strings /usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman | grep mailman

This should produce 2 or three lines, two of which should be in your case

/usr/lib/mailman
/usr/lib/mailman/scripts/

There may be another line pointing to the source directory - this
doesn't matter.