[Mailman-Users] My first time setting up mailman, some misc questions/comments

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Thu Apr 14 13:18:02 EDT 2016

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 01:03:18 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull said:

>If you're working with Mailman 2, dubious.  There may never be another
>release of Mailman 2 (but Mark is authoritative).  And Mac OS X has
>been somewhat unkind to us (Apple's Mailman has been a long-term
>source of support requests to which we mostly have to reply "uuuhhh
>... install from source and we'll get back to you, Apple's Mailman is
>*weird*".

Yes, I've heard.  Of course, Apple hasn't included mailman since OS X 10.6, and likely never will again given their dislike of GPL3.

>Mailman 3 docs would be very welcome.

I'm sticking with 2 for now, as I'm familiar with its web UI and it seems better documented, more widely used, less bleeding edge, etc. :)

> > - OS X's native equivalent of cron is launchd, would you accept
> >   launchd config files matching those of crontab.in for inclusion?
>
>I don't know if Mark will, but I will definitely ensure they get into
>Mailman 3, or at least are well-documented (Barry makes the decisions
>about code, but docs are always welcome).
>
>Question for you: last I heard, the "launchctl load -w" approach was
>deprecated by Apple, but there was no well-documented replacement.
>Worse, there was no replacement that actually worked in my
>experience. ;-)  Has that situation improved?

I'm not aware of the problems you refer to.  "launchctl load -w" works fine in my experience, though the details of exactly how it works have changed between releases.  Like the man page says: "In previous versions, this option would modify the configuration file. Now the state of the Disabled key is stored elsewhere on-disk..."  Perhaps that's what you're talking about?

>Note: Mailman likely has to work on at least Yosemite, possibly
>Mavericks or even Mountain Lion.  Knowing Apple, even if there's a
>working canonical incantation for the most recent El Capitan, likely
>it hasn't been backported. :-(

I'll be doing this on El Capitan.  So far I can say that mailman builds. :)

I guess I'll keep notes, and share them here when done.

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com