[Mailman-Users] Mailman not supported on new server

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Apr 4 22:46:56 EDT 2016

rex at rexgoode.com writes:

 >                     SMTP Error (550): Failed to add recipient
 > "mylist at mydomain.com" (5.1.1 <mylist at mydomain.com>: Recipient address
 > rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table).
 >
 > I wonder if there is a way to get mailman to work and

If they wanted to, it wouldn't be hard.  If you want to do it
yourself, you need to be able to change the configuration of the
host's MTA to fix the error above.  Likely there's more to be done
after that, but without access to the host I can't say.

 > show my hosting company that it is still possible.

They don't care about "possible", they know it's possible.  Mailman is
not hard to "get working".  They're just avoiding the support costs
that come *after* installing mailing lists, because they specialize in
something else.  Sysadmins generally are familiar with email, but
doing a good job of hosting a bunch of domains with mailing lists
requires its own special expertise, and a higher level of ongoing
maintenance and troubleshooting than most web services do.  If you
really want to stay with that hosting service, you're going to need to
talk to them directly.

I suggest you take a look at the services advertising on our site:
http://wiki.list.org/COM/Mailman%20hosting%20services.  (Yes, it is
advertising; we just have a strict policy about blatant lies and
excessive length, and people who *want* to advertise Mailman service
generally are a pretty serious lot, happy to respect those rules.)

I haven't used any of them, and therefore don't recommend any of them.
I've heard that many are happy to have a serious chat with you about
your needs even if you're not really looking to move immediately (of
course, the more you look like a customer, the longer they'll be
willing to talk).  That can be useful "education" even if you decide
to stay and bargain with your current service.

There is also a list of consultants at
http://wiki.list.org/COM/Mailman%20consulting%20services, if you think
you might prefer to set up your own host.