[Mailman-Users] Regexp for blocking addresses

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Tue Sep 29 20:09:28 CEST 2015

On Mon, 2015-09-28 at 19:41 -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 09/28/2015 07:46 AM, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> >
> > So I used the ban script from
> > http://nigelb.me/2015-08-26-mailman-attacks.html to add regexps of
> > the
> > form
> >
> >     "^\.*j\.*o\.*e\.*b\.*l\.*o\.*w    \    .*+.*@gmail    \.com"
> >
> > to the ban list. They show up in the ban_list window looking
> > correct
> > (without the quotes) but don't seem to be blocking the intended
> > addresses. The same pattern without the \.*'s does block the
> > addresses
> > not containing embedded periods.
> >
> > Not quite sure what I'm missing or where to go here. I'd prefer not
> > actually hack the code in MailList.py if I can avoid it.
>

> I'm not sure either because I don't know if any of that white space
> is
> actually there or not.
>
> However, this part '.*+' is absolutely wrong. The + needs a preceding
> \
> or the entire RE is invalid.
>
> And you don't want to hack the code either because trying to keep a
> list
> of actual addresses is futile because there keep being more, the
> permutations with '.' notwithstanding. You want either the regexp I'm
> using or one of the 'safer' ones in my reply at
> <https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2015-September/07987
> 4.html>.

The regexp in the linked message has left parens instead of left
braces, but otherwise seems to be working so far. I added it with
@gmail.com and @usc.edu to be even safer (as those are the only ones
I've seen to this point), but will watch for other domains for a while.

Thanks!

--
Matthew Saltzman
Clemson University Math Sciences