[Mailman-Users] Is there a way to create multiple lists at once via mailman script?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Sep 17 18:10:26 CEST 2015

On 09/16/2015 03:53 PM, Montanez, Victor wrote:

> I am wondering if there is a way to have several mailman lists created at once via command line. I am talking about 100 lists or so. Otherwise creating them through the GUI would take forever.
>
> Maybe creating a file with list name, password,etc and passing that file to the create binary?

Create your file with multiple lines of the form

list1 owner at example.com password

Assume it's named 'lists'

Create a script like

#! /bin/bash
exec 5</path/to/lists
while read -u 5 list owner passwd; do
  /path/to/mailman/bin/newlist -q $list $owner $passwd
done

Then either give it +x permission and run it with

/path/to/script

or run it via

bash /path/to/script

This will create the lists without sending email notifications to the
owners. If you want the notifications and your Mailman is 2.1.20 or
newer, you can replace the newlist -q option with -a.

If you want the notifications and your Mailman is older, you can make
the newlist command in the script

 /path/to/mailman/bin/newlist $list $owner $passwd </dev/null

each invocation of newlist will produce a 'Hit enter to notify listname
owner...' prompt on stdout but the response will be read from /dev/null
so you don't have to 'Hit enter' for each one.

See 'bin/newlist --help' for more info.