[Mailman-Users] Archive looping

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Sep 1 20:33:53 CEST 2015

On 09/01/2015 07:27 AM, Joseph Brennan wrote:

> Yesterday the archive got into a weird state that I could not break by a
> shutdown and fresh start. For each incoming message, it rewrites all of
> the old messages with one extra newline. This useless activity takes
> quite a while and has caused mail to accumulate in the in/ directory.

This really shouldn't affect the /in queue as IncomingRunner only puts
the message in the archive/ queue for ArchRunner.

and in a followup wrote:
> Second-- Not all messages are getting rewritten one newline at a time. Only those with "An HTML attachment was scrubbed..." get the rewrite.

It is totally unclear how this happens. Have you tried restarting Mailman?

The "An HTML attachment was scrubbed..." stuff is created by
Scrubber.py, but the "</PRE>" and "<!--endarticle-->" are created by
HyperArch.py and I don't think HyperArch.py knows or cares if what
Scrubber.py did. Then the whole thing is written at once by
pipermail.py. Nothing in Mailman would be writting one \n at a time to
disk in the middle of an article.