[Mailman-Users] Mailman and qmail problem

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Oct 29 11:52:18 EDT 2015

On 10/29/2015 06:19 AM, Abdallah Dhaou wrote:
> I have a problem configuring mailman 2.1.18 with qmail on Debian .
> To finish creating your mailing list, you must edit your /etc/aliases (or
> equivalent) file by adding the following lines, and possibly running the
> `newaliases' program:
>
> ## list1 mailing list
> list1:              "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post list1"
> list1-admin:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin list1"
> list1-bounces:      "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces list1"
> list1-confirm:      "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman confirm list1"
> list1-join:         "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join list1"
> list1-leave:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman leave list1"
> list1-owner:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner list1"
> list1-request:      "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request list1"
> list1-subscribe:    "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe list1"
> list1-unsubscribe:  "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe list1"

> My questions are the following:
> 1- where those alias are stored ?
> 2- is there an addional config to do with qmail ?
> 3- why the user receive email to subscribe/unsubscribe , but the admin
> couldn't sedn email to the list ?

Those aliases are generic for sendmail and postfix. Qmail is different.
See <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/qmail-issues.html> for some
information about mail delivery from Qmail to Mailman.

Also note if you are installing the Debian Mailman package with Qmail as
the MTA, this should somehow be covered in Debian's documentation and if
it isn't that's a Debian bug. See <http://wiki.list.org/x/12812344>.

As to your third question, Mailman has no problem delivering outgoing
mail to Qmail via SMTP to port 25 on localhost, but Qmail doesn't know
how to deliver incoming list mail to Mailman. The info at
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/qmail-issues.html> should help with
that.