[Mailman-Users] duplicates

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Oct 21 17:56:42 CEST 2015

On 10/20/2015 11:15 PM, Marco Stoecker wrote:

> No, what I was trying to say is, I have a list member which is also
> allowed (via accept_these_nonmembers) to write to other lists but is not
> a member of these other lists.
> So if x at y.com sent an email to list1 at mydomain.com and to
> list2 at mydomain.com and x at y.com is only member of list1 at mydomain.com than
> x at y.com gets a duplicate email as well as all members of these two lists.

I'm still confused. Are you saying here that someone who is a member of
say list1 and not list2 will get two copies of the message?. If so, look
at the complete headers of both messages. Do they both come from Mailman
and does one of them come from list1 and one from list2?

> Furthermore if that email is also sent to list3 at mydomain.com, than the
> members as well as x at y.com will receive 3 identical emails (content wise).
> It seems to me as if mailman, when it hands over to postfix, duplicates
> the email so many times as to so many lists the emails was sent. But
> this is only my suggestion. I have no idea, where to look into. The
> mailman logs and postfix logs gave me no clear picture.

The Mailman 'smtp' log will have entries like

Oct 18 17:47:02 2015 (pppp) <message-id> smtp to listname for nnn
recips, completed in t.ttt seconds

where pppp is the PID of OutgoingRunner, message-id is the actual
message-id of the post, listname is the list name and nnn is the number
of recipients sent to.

Postfix's log will have complete information as to what was delivered to
Mailman and received from Mailman and subsequently delivered.

Mailman's logs may be in /var/lib/mailman/logs/,
/usr/local/mailman/logs, /var/log/mailman/ or ??? depending on how
mailman was installed. Postfix's logs are usually /var/log/maillog or
/var/log/mail.log.