[Mailman-Users] mailman v2.1.20 init script for cos7 / wrong pid location

fsantiago at garbage-juice.com fsantiago at garbage-juice.com
Tue Oct 6 19:30:56 CEST 2015

Hello,

I've installed / compiled mailman 2.1.20 from source on centos 7. works
fine when manually operated via:

bin/mailmanctl start / stop

when i copy the mailman script from /scripts to /etc/rc.d/init.d and
perform 'chkconfig --add mailman', and then try to start it via:

systemctl start mailman

it does actually start (I can see the processes) but on the CLI, it
reports start failed. When I ask for the status, it tells me:

Starting SYSV: Mailman is the GNU Mailing List Manager, a program that
manages electronic mail discussion groups.  For more on GNU Mailman see
http://www.list.org...
Oct 06 11:03:12 mail.garbage-juice.com systemd[1]: PID file
/usr/lib/mailman/data/master-qrunner.pid not readable (yet?) after
start.
Oct 06 11:08:12 mail.garbage-juice.com systemd[1]: mailman.service
operation timed out. Terminating.
Oct 06 11:08:12 mail.garbage-juice.com systemd[1]: Failed to start SYSV:
Mailman is the GNU Mailing List Manager, a program that manages
electronic mail discussion groups.  For more on GNU Mailman see
http://www.list.org.
Oct 06 11:08:12 mail.garbage-juice.com systemd[1]: Unit mailman.service
entered failed state.

Now, the readout states the pid file as
/usr/lib/mailman/data/master-qrunner.pid, which doesn't exist.

When started manually via mailmanctl, the pid file that is created is:
/var/lib/mailman/data/master-qrunner.pid

When started via systemctl, despite the reported error, the pid file
actually exists under /var/lib...

So systemd is looking in the wrong spot for the pid apparently.

Where can I make a change to tell systemd where to look? Thanks
everyone.

- Fabe S.