[Mailman-Users] Message may contain ... administrivia?

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Thu Oct 1 17:10:35 CEST 2015

> On Oct 1, 2015, at 1:35 AM, Steve Matzura <sm at noisynotes.com> wrote:
>
> Well now I've seen everything. Why would Mailman send a return message
> to a subscriber to a mailing list that says their message couldn't be
> posted to the mailing list because "message may contain
> administrivia"?

When e-mail lists had no web interface, subscribers would often send admin commands - "unsubscribe", "set digest", etc., to the actual list instead of the admin address.  This was pretty common when MJ lists were ported to MM.  Those filters are in place to catch those, in part to avoid the follow on "RTFM" posts to the main list.

Probably just as well to turn them off, most people use the web interface nowadays and have for some time.

--Bryan