[Mailman-Users] corrupt list file?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Nov 26 22:05:54 EST 2015

On 11/26/2015 02:11 PM, Steven Jones wrote:

> Mail seems extremely slow for us right now.

This is consistent with my guess below.

> I tried running,
>
> ==========
> [root at vuwunicomailmn1 ~]# /usr/lib/mailman/bin/check_perms -f
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/mailman/bin/check_perms", line 395, in <module>
>     checkdata()
>   File "/usr/lib/mailman/bin/check_perms", line 349, in checkdata
>     mode = statmode(path)
>   File "/usr/lib/mailman/bin/check_perms", line 82, in statmode
>     return os.stat(path)[ST_MODE]
> OSError: [Errno 20] Not a directory: '/var/lib/mailman/lists/owners-final/config.pck'
> [root at vuwunicomailmn1 ~]#
> ===========

1) Your issue won't be fixed by check_perms because the permissions you
posted are OK. The issue is that the list_members script is being run by
a user (nobody) that isn't supposed to have permission.

Is there a list named owners-final and a
/var/lib/mailman/lists/owners-final/ directory without a
/var/lib/mailman/lists/owners-final/config.pck file. If so, the missing
config.pck file is an issue. On the other hand, if you just happen to
have created a /var/lib/mailman/lists/owners-final/ directory for some
other purpose, that's something that check_perms can't handle.

> It could be I have a trashed OS/box after losing the disk?

It could be. Something is clearly not the same.

> ===========
> [root at vuwunicomailmn1 ~]# sudo grep -r '/usr/lib/mailman/bin/list_members' /etc
> Binary file /etc/prelink.cache matches
> [root at vuwunicomailmn1 ~]#
> ===========
>
> ===========
> [root at vuwunicomailmn1 ~]# sudo grep -r 'list_members' /etc
> Binary file /etc/prelink.cache matches
> [root at vuwunicomailmn1 ~]#
> ===========
>
> ===========
> sudo grep -r 'list_members' /
>
> 8><----
> ===========
>
> has a lot of output.

And is there anything in that output that doesn't look like a Mailman file?

My best guess at this point is your MTA has some sort of milter or proxy
that is run on incoming mail to try to determine if mail is a list post
and if so, if the sender is a list member, and this milter/proxy/???
tries to do bin/list_members to see if the sender is a member, and the
process is running as user 'nobody' and doesn't have permission to do
list_members.

Try looking at your MTA configs and logs.

Also is there any clue in

> sosreport.tar.xz: Binary file, 1747868 bytes

that might indicate what process is actually issuing the

> /usr/bin/python /usr/lib/mailman/bin/list_members isc

command?