[Mailman-Users] Installing Mailman

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Nov 24 13:16:07 EST 2015

Dave Arndt writes:

 > Then... would the install and the "basics" be that different?

In a word ... "yes".  Mailman 2 is a monolithic system, with a fair
amount of attention given to "pluggability" of many features.
However, in practice, the vast majority of Mailman 2 systems just use
the default, bundled implementations of things like the archiver.

In Mailman 3, the mail reception and distribution system is one
subproject (dubbed "core"), the archiver ("HyperKitty") is another
subproject, and the web application ("Postorius") that users and list
owners use to configure their accounts and lists yet a third.  The
members overlap somewhat, but really, these are separate projects in
practice.  This isn't a problem for interoperability because the
design is good, but it does mean that installation questions have to
be directed to the right subgroup.  Pretty good progress has been made
on installing all subprojects as a bundle [1], but it's not anywhere
near as easy as "apt-get install mailman3" yet.

 > I had tried installing a different version of Mailman earlier (2)
 > and had the same issues I'm having now.

Ah, in that case maybe your issue is not in Mailman, but rather in
your system.  Then the generic experience with various OSes and MTAs
might be valuable to you.

Exactly what steps did you take to install Mailman 3 on your Centos
host?

FWIW, this:

 >>> I receive a "500 Internal Server Error".

looks like an Apache error rather than a Postorius error to me.  That
suggests that Apache is not configured to delegate to Postorius, or
perhaps Postorius isn't installed at all.  AFAICS, the typical install
instructions[1] have you set up Postorius and HyperKitty as standalone
Django apps (not recommended for production, and the instructions are
often not very specific about how to integrate these apps with "real"
webservers).

Footnotes:
[1]  Eg, http://mailman-bundler.readthedocs.org/en/latest/.