[Mailman-Users] Reverse chronological date order for archives

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Nov 18 15:16:34 EST 2015

On 11/17/15 7:46 PM, ListGnome ProtonMail via Mailman-Users wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone been able to order their archive messages in reverse chronological date order - so the most recent post is at the top of the page. (Version 2.1.20)
>
> I found a related thread in the Mailman-Users archive (dated 2002) but it didn't explain how it was done.
>
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2002-February/017906.html

I looked at the posts in that thread, and as you, I see nothing about
how it was done. Further, I don't see how this can be done in
Defaults.py/mm_cfg.py short of some very complex 'patch the archiver on
the fly' kind of coding if it can be done at all.

Are you talking about just the various date sequence index (date.html)
files or do you also want the messages for each author in the author
index, the messages for each subject in the subject index and the
threads in the thread index also in reverse? For threads, you would
presumably want them ordered by the date of the most recent post in the
thread.

The pipermail archiver is the most difficult code in all of Mailman 2.1
to understand and follow. It may be possible to accomplish this, and the
ultimate patch might be simple, but I don't think it would be too easy
to figure it out.