[Mailman-Users] 64 bit encoding

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Nov 5 12:31:13 EST 2015

On 11/05/2015 08:41 AM, Ruben Safir wrote:

> Which file am I patching?  Is this a normal setup?  I pulled it from
> opensuse.
>

> ruben at www:~> locate Mailman/Message.py
> /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Message.py
> /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Message.pyc

The above two are probably what you want.
/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Message.py is the source to patch. After you
apply the patch and restart Mailman, Python will automatically detect
that the .py is newer and recompile it into the .pyc.

> /usr/local/apache/conf/mailman/Mailman/Message.py
> /usr/local/apache/conf/mailman/Mailman/Message.pyc

This is very strange. I've never seen anything like it. My best guess is
that for some  reason, the openSUSE package installs a separate Mailman/
directory for use by the web server. If that is the case, this one
doesn't need to be patched because the patch doesn't affect anything in
the web UI.

To be sure, I'd need to see the apache configuration, the MTA
configuration and the contents of the directories.

I did quickly look at
<https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/openSUSE:Leap:42.1/mailman/mailman-apache2.conf?expand=1>,
<https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/server:mail/mailman/mailman-apache2.conf?expand=1>,
etc. and they all refer to /usr/lib/mailman so I have no idea what
/usr/local/apache/conf/mailman/ is about.

The bottom line is the Message.py you need to patch is the one that's
imported by the qrunners, IncomingRunner and OutgoingRunner in
particular.  Is there even a
/usr/local/apache/conf/mailman/Mailman/Queue/ directory at all?

If the two Message.py files are the same, it wouldn't hurt to patch both.