[Mailman-Users] List Owner Password Reminder

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Nov 5 11:29:54 EST 2015

On 11/04/2015 02:05 PM, Christopher A Puchalski wrote:

> Is there a "self service" password reminder for list owners?

No.

> I am in the process of trying to deploy mailman within my company to
> replace a old majordomo instance. Majordomo access/authentication was
> managed by local LDAP credentials so users had no real excuse not to know
> their passwords. This was setup long ago and predates my joining the
> company by 15+ years. In the case of mailman it looks like passwords for
> list owners are tied to the software. We have many lists (1000+) so was
> hoping I could avoid getting into the business of password resets if
> possible. My goal would be to add a "I forgot my password" button to the
> admin login page that would kind of force that monthly password reminder
> right then.  I know list members have several options but from what I have
> seen owners do not.
>
> Is that even possible?

In MM 2.1.x list owner/moderator passwords, as opposed to the list
member password for the owner if the owner is a list member (not
required), are kept in encrypted form and are not retrievable as plain
text, thus a reminder is not possible. A 'reset' function with a dialog
with the owner/moderator email address(es) is possible, but such a thing
has not been implemented.

See the FAQs at <http://wiki.list.org/x/4030543> and
<http://wiki.list.org/x/4030693>, and Mailman's 'bin/change_pw --help'.