[Mailman-Users] How to know if all messages were distributed

Regis regis92130 at gmail.com
Mon May 25 20:26:19 CEST 2015

Hello,

Thanks for your great answer.

 > I'll assume that you have perfectly good reasons for using Qmail
 > rather than Exim or Postfix that are more commonly used with Mailman,

Actually... no ! That's why I have now set Postfix as messaging server
on my VPS from Plesk ;-)

 > First question: *which queue*?  Mailman has its queues, which you can
 > examine using ls on the queue directory or mailman/bin/show_qfiles on
 > the individual queued messages.  Qmail also has its own queue(s), and
 > if the messages are in the Qmail queues, *it's very unlikely to be a
 > Mailman-related problem*.  By design, once a mail server has accepted
 > a message, the mail server is fully responsible for its deliver, or
 > for reporting non-delivery.

It was the Qmail queue, which is visible in Plesk.

 > You've cross checked the Message-IDs?  What do you mean by "return
 > receipt"?  Are you sure they are not "bounce" messages, which indicate
 > that mailwas *not* delivered?

No. It was automatic responses from the messages recipients.

 > I don't know about where Centos keeps Mailman's logs and queues,
 > [...]
 > For the qfiles, most likely you just care about if they're there in
 > "outgoing" or "retry".  You might also look in the "shunt" queue
 > directory for "broken" messages that Mailman can't process.

I had a look to all these logs but difficult to see which messages where
sent or not... it doesn't matter i will send a new mailing in few weeks
and i hope it will work better with Postfix ;-)

Thanks again.
Regis.