[Mailman-Users] Could Mailman cope with extra Mime sections intended for Apple Watches?

Peter Shute pshute at nuw.org.au
Mon May 18 01:04:53 CEST 2015

This isn't something that's happening right now, and I doubt it will, but you never know. Apple is playing with mail formats intended to display as a message summary on an Apple Watch, but show the full message on a larger device. Apparently it's a legal format, but lots of mail clients are getting it wrong, and I'm wondering what Mailman would do with a message like that.

I don't fully understand the problem, but it seems that reply notifications sent to people participating in discussions in the "Apple Support Comunities" (discussions.apple.com)have recently changed format. Previously they had an html part and a plain text part. Now they have an additional second html part containing the message summary. Mail clients are supposed to go through the Mime sections and select the most suitable one to display. It appears that most are selecting the html summary and not looking any further, so people don't see the full message. It appears that Exchange is even removing the other bits.

It hasn't been suggested that Apple will try to do the same thing with user generated email, but who knows? If they do, will Mailman pass all three Mime sections through?

It's being discussed here, and someone has posted a sample of the format:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7039218?start=15&tstart=0

Peter Shute